[Pharo-project] About ecompletion

Romain Robbes romain.robbes at lu.unisi.ch
Thu Dec 4 09:11:13 EST 2008

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the interest! I just finished my Ph.D., so I must say my
mind is a bit elsewhere at the moment ;-).
Here is the extension to eCompletion I made. Keep in mind that the
code will probably not load cleanly as parts of it depend on the code
in my prototype which is larger.

There are two packages:

- ChangeCompletion contains the code I used to measure the accuracy of
the benchmark, and the variants of the completion algorithm itself. It
also contains some overrides I needed to introduce more flexibility in
ECompletion
- OCompletion contains the code of a small UI experiment, where
completion is "always activated", i.e. you don't need to press tab or
control-space to get the menu, it is always there, but with only two
or three propositions at each time.

As for some general comments about how ecompletion is implemented,
here is what I can tell you (you can ask me more of course).

ECompletion has an ECEntry object that represents a completion
proposal (one of the items in the menu). They are sorted
alphabetically. I introduced a version containing a date to sort them
according to usage.
ECContext is the class that is the actual engine and returns a model
of the system when asked for completion. The model in turn gives a
list of entries for a given prefix. There are several kinds of models
returned, depending
if the type of the receiver  is known (eg a model for a class, or the
general untyped model of the system). The models use tables of symbols
that they convert to entries when asked for a completion.

Based on this, I introduced variants of completion algorithms by
introducing subclasses of ECContext and ECTypedModel and
ECUntypedModel, that build tables of symbols according to recent
changes in the system.
I introduced a processChange: method in ECContext for that. It uses
the change representation of my prototype to do so, so you would
probably need to change that (e.g. use the SystemChangeNotifier and
the normal smalltalk parser).
It selects the interesting entries according to the algorithm, and
includes the date so that they are ordered as they should. I think the
one with the "recent method bodies" algorithm is the one named
ECECContext3 (I am aware the name is horrible ;-)).

Finally, to activate the whole thing, I recommend you to have a
subclass of the ECController (like the OController I implemented).

You then need to switch from one to the other in a method in
StringHolder such as:

createCompletionController
	^  (bool ifTrue: [OController] ifFalse: [ECController]) model: self

It's important to have a way to toggle the completion off without
typing in case it breaks ;-).

Cheers,
	Romain